The Congolese Society for Human Genetics (La Société Congolaise de Génétique Humaine) is a non-profit association according to the Congolese law.
The purpose of CoSHG is to support and promote the development of Human Genetics in the Democratic Republic of Congo:
- training in human genetics
- scientific research in human genetics
- building clinical genetics services
- establishing collaborations between scientists in the country and abroad
- organising scientific meetings
- providing information and education towards society at large
- reflecting on ethical, legal and social aspects in the field of human genetics
- developing guidelines for good practice in the field of human genetics
The CoSHG is open to anyone interested and willing to contribute to its objectives.
Main plans for 2018
- Extension of training in human genetics to other applicant faculties of Medicine (Lubumbashi, Mbujimayi, Bukavu).
- Conferences and workshops across the country (invitations from Kinshasa, Katanga and Kasaï) on the actual place of genetic factors in a number of pathologic issues: repeated abortions, infertility, albinism, sickle cell anemia, intellectual disability, autism.
- Reinforce the developing networks of institutions and patient associations.
- Make an effort to attend as much as possible to conferences and workshops organized around the world on the place of human genetics in our societies.
The resources of the Association include:
- grants the State, provinces, municipalities and public or private organizations
- all resources that the Association may lawfully generate
- contributions of its members